Monthly Archives: April 2022
Some children are born with an inner drive to keep trying over and over when they fail. Most children aren’t, though, and it is up to us to help them see that failing is actually the key to succeeding. Teaching our children the word YET is key. They may come to you and say, “I don’t know how to read” or “I can’t ride a 2-wheeler” or “I can’t get good grades.” We need to teach them to add the word “yet” to the end of those sentences so they start to realize that these things take time and with the right mindset, they will happen!
Sit down with your child and list out things that they now do that at one time they thought were hard. Have them tell you that with practice they learned to do hard things. They are able to do hard things! Using this type of thinking and dialogue around our children will teach them that by trying, failing and learning from their mistakes, they will succeed at doing hard things.
Math can be a difficult subject for many. However, there are many things that parents can do at home to help foster a love for math and improve skills.
- Familiarize yourself with what your child is currently learning
- Let your child help with cooking and baking
- Play math games at home (see your child’s teacher if you don’t have any)
- Allow your child to play math games on the computer such as www.prodigy.com and www.adaptedmind.com
- Access Kahn Academy for math lessons that can help students with their homework
- Have your child help you with the grocery shopping (adding prices, making change, etc.)
- Encourage them to do some math everyday
It is our goal that every student develops a passion for reading. We provide many opportunities on a daily basis for students to be exposed to a variety of texts. Occasionally we are faced with the question, “Why do we have to read?” Here are a variety of ways to answer this question.
- Reading exercises your brain.
- Reading increases your ability to empathize with others.
- Reading improves concentration and focus.
- Reading helps develop creativity.
- Reading is entertaining.
- Reading provides knowledge and information.
- Reading enriches language and vocabulary.
- Reading reduces stress and puts you in a better mood.